Take a Hike partners with school boards and community leaders to set up new programs in communities with a strong support network.
- Each program is a collaboration between teachers, counsellors and adventure-based learning specialists from the public school system and therapists and program organizers funded by donations raised in the community.
- Volunteers from the community including fundraisers, outdoor leaders, mentors and guest lecturers provide critical support.
- Take a Hike uses a robust community-assessment tool and a comprehensive resource kit to implement a new program.
Take a Hike works with communities where:
- Leaders embrace the urgent need to help at-risk youth recognizing the long-term benefits both to the individuals and to society
- School Districts are looking for a proven way to support and engage their at-risk youth population
- Businesses and individuals are willing to donate time and money to improve their community
Take a Hike’s approach to expansion has several phases to ensure the physical and economic environments of the community are conducive for a successful implementation.